Saturday, May 2, 2015

Dixon Entrance Crossing

We spent our last night in Prince Rupert having pie and ice cream with Phil and Uno aboard Got d’ Fever; it was great fun discovering mutual interests and learning more about Phil’s experiences in the military.   We departed Prince Rupert the following day via Venn Passage, a narrow channel of twists and turns navigable with the use of Range Markers located on shore.  When properly aligned, these markers help boaters stay in the deepest and safest part of the channels.  We chose to go through Venn Passage as it greatly shortens the route to Chatham Sound for boaters heading north.  As we approached Chatham Sound we encountered steep 3ft swells (referred to as fresh swell); we set a course to angle across the swells until we were in the leeward side of Mellville and Dunira Islands then took a more direct northerly course.  
Green Island Lighthouse
In the distance we could see what looked like a large white ship, which in reality was a lighthouse on the rocky shoals of Green Island.  As we got closer, we could make out the details of this picturesque lighthouse glistening in the sunlight.  We rounded Whitly Point on Dundas Island a short while later and entered Brundige Inlet, our anchorage for the night.  We had arrived around 4pm and the sun warmed the bay making for a very pleasant late afternoon, the color of blue was overhead and the water sparkled. 
Got d' Fever and Uno at anchor on Dundas Island
It was so nice to see the sun again especially after the torrential rains and a hail shower that passed as we left Prince Rupert.  We had a good night’s sleep in the placid, quite waters at anchor on Dundas Island, readying us for the crossing of Dixon Entrance the following morning. 
Morning Light, Dundas Island
Dixon Entrance refers to the very large body of water between northern British Columbia and Southeast Alaska and is partially open to the Pacific Ocean.  The border between the two countries runs through Dixon Entrance at Latitude 54 degrees, 42 minutes.  We were up and ready to leave by 7am with the morning light.  The seas were flat calm with a small 1ft swell.  Further out into the Entrance the swell grew between 2 to 3 feet but nicely spaced at 10 seconds, a good time to be crossing the Entrance. 
Morning Departure to Dixon Entrance
We passed over the sea's imaginary border line at 7:49am and set our clocks back one hour for Alaska Time.  By 8:50am (7:50am Alaska time) we entered Revillagigedo Channel formed by Duke, Mary, and Annette Islands where the waters were once again flat, calm.  We all appreciated the warm, beautiful day - no raingear or coats necessary.  
Beautiful Setting at Ketchikan, Alaska
After another four hours of motoring, we entered Tongass Narrows taking us into Ketchikan.  Snow blanketed the peaks above Ketchikan and views of the city were unobscured by cruise ships, a great opportunity to take some nice photos of the area. 
Ketchikan, Alaska
The marinas were surprisingly busy with requests for moorage from several pleasure boats that had come into port around the same time.  We were able to get a slip assignment at the Bar Harbor Marina and pulled in at 1pm Alaska time.  
Ketchikan, Alaska
We phoned customs and an agent came to the boat, filled out the requisite papers, and welcomed us back to the U.S.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You guys are really making headway. We love following along :-) happy cruising!